Tuesday, July 18, 2017

MERMAID DOLL OUTFIT

I made this outfit using Red Heart SS yarn.  I made several alterations to the original pattern.  First, the finished project was too small around the bodice when following the pattern as written. I added a few stitches to my beginning chain to take care of that issue. I did not work the pattern in rows; I prefer rounds so there is no seam to sew or buttons for little ones to have to contend with.
Making these minor changes worked out well for me.The top is held up by tying the attached ties around the back of the neck. Easy on and off.

I also reworked the crown pattern.  The written pattern is very lacey which is pretty but the "peaks" would not stand up; which is not pretty. 😒 I have printed my version of the crown below for anyone who may be interested. The crown holds its shape much better with this change.  I will try adding some elastic to the base on the next one I make because I found that when it is being played with it falls off easily.  So unless you don't mind putting it back on the doll's head a kazillion times while it's being played with ... elastic may be the answer! I'm hoping anyway. 😊



Crown pattern:  Chain 33; join with a sl st
Rnd 1: sc in each chain around (33 sc); join with slip st in first sc
Rnd 2: ( hd in first sc, in next st work: dc, tr, ch 3, sc in top of tr [picot made], dc all in the same sc, hd in next sc, sc in next sc) repeat around ending with a sc dec over the last two stitches; join with a sl st in the first st. Finish off and weave in ends.   
As stated earlier in the post, the pattern comes with a crown however this was my personal preference for reasons already mentioned.  

You can find the pattern for this outfit here:
http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/mermaid-doll-outfit#

Thanks for looking and Happy Crocheting!

No comments:

Post a Comment