Friday, April 15, 2016

FREE PATTERN – KNIT
I have another dishcloth pattern for you (and several more on the way!).  As I mentioned in an earlier post I love making dishcloths for many reasons.  Another great reason to make dishcloths (which could be face cloths if you prefer) is the opportunity they afford to try out, or learn, a variety of patterns.  Quite often a stitch does not work up as you expect.  By working the pattern I get to see if 1) I even like the stitch and 2) how much drape it has to it, how dense it is, is it lacy, etc.  From there I can decide what type of patterns I think the stitch would work best for.  For example: one might make a nice baby sweater, another a nice absorbent bath mat, perhaps it would be great for an afghan, or an afghan sampler.  By working the pattern up into a dish/face cloth I have not wasted my time or my materials – it’s a win-win situation!
As I said, I have several more dishcloth patterns coming up so if you would like to learn some new stitches please check back.  My goal is to post a new pattern every Tuesday and Friday.  However I can’t promise anything…as most of you know sometimes life gets in the way and things don’t work out quite as planned; I’ll do my best. If you find a pattern you really like perhaps you’ll turn it into an afghan or a sweater!
All of my dish cloth patterns are worked in 100% cotton and a pair of size 8 knitting needles unless otherwise noted. Any cotton yarn (4- worsted weight) will work.  I know A C Moore carries a cotton yarn by Premier that is 85% cotton – 15% polyester.  I have worked with it (it’s very soft) but have not laundered it yet.  Besides being softer it is generally less expensive so it may be worth a try!  Another option (the one I prefer) is to buy the cones of cotton.  If you are making your purchase at a local craft store you may want to have a coupon in hand.   You could use size 7 needles which will result in a slightly smaller cloth or a size 9 (slightly larger) if you already have either of these on hand as gauge is not crucial for a dishcloth.  I do not rate any of my patterns as to difficulty. I truly believe anyone can work any pattern given the determination and desire.  I will however give you some tips if the pattern has any little quirks that may give you problems.
Okay! So let’s get to today’s pattern.  I hope you have fun working this up and if you haven’t made the ZIGZAG OPENWORK dishcloth yet you will find it below, posted Feb. 13, 2016.

PILLAR STITCH DISH CLOTH



Ø  Stitch Key:       tog   together                yo  yarn over          pm place marker
        st   stitch                       rep   repeat
Ø  On right side rows take care to not add a yo before working the border
Ø  Pattern is worked in a multiple of 2.  If you want to make a larger cloth add stitches in increments of 2; smaller, subtract stitches in multiples of 2.
Ø  Slip markers to working needle on each row when working pattern
Ø  To pass yo over k2 stitches insert the needle in your left hand, from left to right in front of work, into the base of the yo and lift it up and over the 2 stitches just knit, taking care not to drop any stitches

Cast on 50 stitches.
Border:
Row 1: K2 tog, *p1, k1; rep from * to last 2 stitches, p2 tog.
Row 2: *P1, k1; repeat from * across row.
Row 3: *K1, p1: repeat from * across row.
Row 4: Repeat row 2
Begin Pattern:
Row 1: (K1, p1) twice {border}, pm; purl across to last 4 sts, pm; (k1, p1) twice. {border}
Row 2 (right side): (P1, k1) twice; K1, *yo, k2, pass yo over k2; rep from * to last st before marker, k1; (p1, k1) twice.
 Repeat these 2 pattern rows 19 times more then rep row 1 once more.
Border:
Row 1: *P 1, k1; rep from * across row.
Row 2: *K1, p1; rep from * across row.
Row 3: Rep row 1.
Row 4: Bind off working row 2.  Cut yarn. Weave in ends!

(close-up of pattern stitch)

HAPPY KNITTING!

Photo and pattern belong to me and are protected under copyright. Please do not post the pattern or the photo as your own. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment