Friday, February 26, 2016

FROM THE KITCHEN 

SEAFOOD MAC AND CHEESE

My husband and I stopped at Crossroads Diner (a small family-owned restaurant) in Edinboro, PA last month for lunch.  They had so many tempting items on their menu it was difficult to decide on something.  I finally opted for their Seafood Mac and Cheese and I knew as soon as it was set down in front of me I had made the right choice! It was so good! I also knew I was going to have to try to recreate the recipe - soon.  This is the my version of the recipe and although it's not exact (pretty sure the cheeses are not the same) it is still very good. Please keep in mind I am not a dietician or a chef or an expert on serving sizes, etc. so I don't have any of that information for you. If I had to guess I would say this recipe will serve 6-8 as the main course, it makes a lot!


             (Seafood Mac and Cheese, Steamed Asparagus, Copy-Cat Red Lobster Garlic Rolls)                                          
Seafood Mac and Cheese

Ingredients:
     3 T butter plus 1/4 cup, divided                                                  
     1/2 cup chopped onion
     2 large cloves garlic, minced  
     1/2 pound wild caught fresh shrimp,cleaned and deveined
     1/2 pound wild caught fresh scallops, cleaned and cut
     1/2 pound wild caught fresh salmon filet, cut in bite-size pieces
     1/4 cup flour  
     1 cup whole milk
     1 cup half and half, divided
     8 oz block Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
     8 oz block White Cheddar Cheese plus 4 oz block (4 oz optional), shredded
     6 oz shredded Parmesan Cheese
     16 oz box macaroni or small shells
     Salt and pepper to taste

1. Melt 3 T buttter in a skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook just until tender. Add the shrimp (my shrimp was quite large, I cut it to about the size of petite shrimp); cook and stir occasionally until shrimp begins to turn pink. Add the pieces of salmon and gently cook, stirring occasionally for 1-2 minutes. Finally add the scallops (again, mine were quite large; I cut them in quarters). Gently cook and stir for another 1 - 2 minutes; set aside and keep warm.
2. Cook macaroni according to manufacturers instructions. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, melt 1/4 cup butter in large saucepan. Add 1/4 cup flour and cook, stirring constantly until mixture is well blended and bubbly. Turn heat to low and stir in 1 cup whole milk and 1/2 cup of the half and half. Turn heat to med and continue to cook and stir until mixture begins to thicken. Turn heat off and add the Monterey Jack Cheese (I shredded mine right over the pan), stir until well blended and creamy.  Add the White Cheddar (again, I shredded mine right over the pan) and stir until well blended. Repeat with the Parmesan. Turn the heat back on and stir in 1/2 cup half and half. Cook, stirring constantly, until cheeses are completely melted and half and half is fully incorporated. Add the macaroni to the cheese mixture and stir until well mixed.  Add the seafood mixture and stir until all ingredients are fully incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste.  Grease a 9" x 13" baking pan (I used glass) with butter. Pour the macaroni and cheese into the pan and spread it so it is evenly distributed.
4. Cover pan and place in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove cover and sprinkle 4 oz grated White Cheddar, if desired, over the top. Bake an additional 5 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and enjoy!

If you decide to try this I would love to hear your thoughts! :)
Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment