Monday, July 1, 2019

BALLERINA BEAR

I've had this sweet little bear pinned on one of my Pinterest boards for quite some time (since 2016).  I finally decided to make her; unfortunately when I clicked on the picture I received the message "Error 404 not found."  It does go to a page marked "Amigurumi Today" however so apparently they originally posted the pattern.  


Not being able to locate the pattern I did my best to replicate it.  It's not perfect but I'm pleased with the end result and the recipient was very pleased - which is all that really matters!


 I gave her jointed legs and arms so she can sit or stand. Here she is standing all by herself (below).  I think her nice "round" figure aids in this as well as making her very huggable and cuddly.  



I made a couple of minor changes.  The first being the ties on the ballet slippers. While it looks like the original has a strand of yarn wrapped around and tied for the straps I chose to make ties of single crochet which makes them sturdier and hopefully they will wear better after much play. 

I also changed her little tutu. Rather than using a piece of  ruffled lace I used pieces of tulle as that is what I had on hand. I love the nice full look it gives.




I fiddled with the little head piece for some time - seemed to me it should have been the simplest part of the whole thing - but it wasn't - at least not for me!  I actually decided to just leave it off entirely at one point but found myself going back to it.  I finally settled for this one.  I was glad I decided to include it, the recipients sister had a very similar headpiece as part of her costume for her dance recital; it was clearly meant to be, right?


The bear was crocheted with a size D aluminum hook and Red Heart Super Saver yarn in the following colors: Lavendar, White, and Petal Pink; eyesbrows and nose were worked in black using embroidery stitches.  I used safety eyes for the eyes (I'm not sure what size they are, sorry. I just found a size I thought looked good from my stash.) As a final touch I added a bit of blush to her cheeks.  And of course there's the fiber fill - lots and lots of it! 

I attached all pieces securely to the doll so there are no removable items - no searching for missing slippers, headpieces, etc., which can only be a good thing.  

Here is the link to the original post:

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Crocheting!

No comments:

Post a Comment